St. Patrick's Baking

Monday, November 30, 2009

Tackling Planning for Cookie Day

It's time for Tackle It Tuesday with 5 Minutes for Mom . This week, I planned for our annual Ewing Family Cookie Day.

If you remember our haul from last year, we produce way more than our families can/should consume. But, we love baking all day so we didn't want to do less. We just decided we were going to give away more. So, the school's bake sale and the Veterans are going to reap the harvest of our labor. We are very excited about our giving this year. It makes me feel like we are in the true Christmas spirit.

So, here is my plan for Cookie Day:

Peanut Butter Blossoms
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
54 Milk chocolate kisses or stars

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.

2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie's center. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 54 cookies.

3. To store: Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Servings: 54

Vanilla Sugar Cookies
Cake Journal is one of my favorite sites for decorating inspiration. I converted this recipe from grams from her site:-)

3.5 oz sugar
3.5 oz Powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
16 oz all-purpose flour
7 oz unsalted butter, diced
1/4 recipe Royal Icing
1/2 recipe Marshmallow Fondant

1. In a bowl or in the kitchen mixer with paddle attachment, mix the two types of sugar, vanilla and the egg. Add the flour and the butter and keep mixing just until the dough comes together.

2. Knead the dough lightly by hand on your flour dusted kitchen counter and wrap it well in cling film and put it in a plastic bag. Chill the dough for 2 hours.

3. I always roll out my dough on a sheet of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour and I set my oven to 325F (170C) when I bake cookies and place the baking tray in the middle of the oven. Depending on size I bake them from 15-20 mins. You want them to be light golden brown without being raw in the middle.

Servings: 30

Source
Author: Cake Journal
Source: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/vanilla-sugar-cookies

Molasses Cookies
1 cup butter
1 1/3 cup Sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
3 cup All-purpose Flour

1. Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add in molasses and cream. Add in eggs one at a time until combined. Add in spices, baking powder, and baking soda until combined. Add in flour and mix just until combined. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet for 5 minutes for removing to wire racks to cool.

Servings: 24

Source
Author: Sherry
Source: Lamp Unto My Feet
Web Page: http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-goodies-1-molasses-cookies.html

Lemon Bars
Lemon bars absolutely sing spring! The citrus awakens your taste buds, while the rich buttery crust satisfies all dessert cravings. Simple enough for an after-supper treat at home, these are also pretty enough for a spring bridal shower, baby shower, or tea party. Enjoy!

1 cup softened butter
2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
4 eggs
2 cup sugar
6 Tbs flour
6 Tbs lemon juice

1. Mix sugar, salt, and flour. Cut in butter. Press into an 8×12 pan. (9×13 will work, too, you’ll just have thinner bars) Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

2. Mix together while crust is baking. Pour onto hot crust. Bake an additional 25 minutes. When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator.

Servings: 12

Source
Author: Amy's Finer Things
Source: http://amysfinerthings.com/lemon-bars/comment-page-1#comment-3713

Pecan Delights
2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup light corn syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 lbs whole pecans
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. In a large saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Cook over medium heat until all sugar is dissolved. Gradually add milk; mix well. Continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).

2. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla until blended. Fold in the pecans. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm. Loosen from paper.

3. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Drizzle over each cluster. Cool.

Servings: 48

Source
Source: Taste of Home
Web Page: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Pecan-Delights


Granulated Sugar on Foodista

21 comments:

cat said...

Oh no! Now I want some cookies.

Alicia said...

Oh yah..I hit the jackpot!! I'm going to copy some of those recipes! I love lemon bars!

Hallee said...

I LOVE Pecan Delights. That looks like a wonderful recipe!

Hallee

blueviolet said...

I way overdid it last year. I'm going to pare down to about 5 myself. And see if I can avoid eating any of them. Riiiiiiiight.

Moody Food Reviews said...

That makes me want some cookies!

mommytoalot said...

That is so nice of you.
We are doing a cookie exchange..and those peanut butter blossoms look like they would be yummy.
Lisa

Jingle said...

That is one heck of a line up! I may do a molasses type of cookie or cake this year.

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

Wow! All of those sound amazing! We will be baking cookies with my parents while in Florida and I just can't wait!

angie said...

Yummy.

Shall I send you my address for the leftovers? :)

Melissa B. said...

My youngest spent the day turning out dozens of sugar cookies. I came home from work, and she asked, "Mom, do you have any new cookie recipes?" Well, now I do. Thanks, Susie!

Mama to 4 boys said...

Yummy! All your recipes look delish! I'm going to test some of them out. ;)


Thanks for following me!

Mama to 4 boys said...

Yummy! All your recipes look delish! I'm going to test some of them out. ;)


Thanks for following me!

Jen said...

Thanks for these. They look like awesome recipes.

Mindy said...

OMGness.. I can't believe I have never found your blog until now! Thanks so much for visting/commenting/subscribing to mine! I will definitely be visiting here often!! WOW!

Quasi Serendipita said...

Sounds too yummy!

heidi said...

Delish! I just made 3 dozen Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies. Next up are Chewy Coconut Cookies!

Amy said...

wow thanks for sharing so many different cookies.

SnoWhite said...

what yummy sounding cookies -- the vanilla sugar cookies are ones I'll have to add to my list!

Jerri said...

So many great recipes! I'd love to try the Peanut Butter Blossoms!

I hope you'll stop by and link up today at my Christmas recipe party!

SnoWhite said...

Those vanilla sugar cookies are calling my name!!

NIKE said...

play bazaarInternational Global Business Leadership Forum 2020 has been announced in Itlay and you can particapte as investor. Register Now at Satta King Make your country wealthy and give the power of Economy and Boost your country. Live Business Leadership forum is ready in 3 March, 2020 Itlay Hotel - Novotel Salerno Est Arechi. Come and Join now.

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger