St. Patrick's Baking

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cake Prep

I have got a bunch of cakes to do this year and each one feeds into another (pardon the pun). The first cake is for my daughter Daniella's fourth birthday and it is going to be my first doll cake. She will have a pink dress made of rolled fondant and accented with gold luster dust. I am using these techniques in preparation for my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary. I need to practice working with the fondant and the dust and this gives me the perfect opportunity. In addition, I have to brainstorm for my older daughter's graduation this summer. I know that the colors are going to be her school colors but, I am not sure what kind of cake it is going to be or the flavor.

Flavor is something that I have been toying with. I have mastered the ganache and cheesecake genres and now, I need to branch out into other flavors. For example, at least one of the tiers is going to be a lemon cake with lemon curd filling. I found a site which is ironically named Susie's Scrumptious Sweets that has a list of flavors that I would like to try(http://www.susiesscrumptioussweets.com/flavors.html). The hazelnut sounds intriguing as well as the almond cake with Amaretto cream filling. Yummo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger